Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Repurposed Jeans

I have a box full of jeans that are worn and frayed at the bottom. I was going to throw them away when I found a semi-tutorial on Pinterest for turning jeans into a skirt. I decided to try it with one of my pairs... I love a good jean skirt! Especially if I can say I made it myself! =)

So, this is what I did.... I cut the legs off the jeans at the knee, leaving enough length for a 1 inch hem.

Then, I cut the seam in the front and back. It actually is easier to sew if you go ahead and cut the seam off.

I used the scraps I cut off to make panels for the front and back of the skirt.

Just trim the panel, leaving some overhang for sewing the skirt together. Pin the front panel in place.

Sew the front panel on and trim the excess off from the inside, taking care not to cut the threads.

You can do the same for the back, but I decided to add some pizazz and put on a few ruffles. Before attaching the panel to the skirt, you need to pin the ruffles in place and stitch them on. I just used a straight stitch right down the middle of each ruffle. Then pin the panel in place and stitch it on.  



Now the last step is to hem the bottom all the way around. I didn't stop there. I decided to create a little interest and do a few detail stitches along the front panel. I think that made it look more handmade and not like any other skirt you can buy. =)
All done!!!! I wore it to prayer meeting at church Sunday night with a yellow top and pinned on a rossette I made with the same fabric I used for the ruffles.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

That is super cute!

Chasity said...

This is awesome!! Now if I could just sew! LOL